I can't write a long detailed rant every time I see a circumcision horror story on my Facebook news feed, so I'm just going to post a screen shot of the most recent one I've seen and make a short comment.
The facts of the matter:
- Male infant circumcision has risks.
- In most, if not all male infants, circumcision is elective, non-medical surgery.
- The risks of male infant circumcision include infection, partial or full ablation of the penis, hemorrhage and even death.
- Doctors and hospitals have financial incentive to downplay, misattribute, or simply not talk about the adverse incidences of male infant circumcision.
- Stories like these rarely, if ever, make the news; the only reason we know about incidences like these is because parents slip up and post them on Facebook.
- Because male infant circumcision is elective, non-medical surgery, any number of adverse incidences above zero is unconscionable.
- Without medical or clinical indication, reaping profit from performing non-medical surgery on healthy, non-consenting individuals constitutes medical fraud.
- Taking advantage of a child to push needless cosmetic surgery no him/her that s/he would never choose for him/herself as an adult is clear abuse.
The child in this story appears to have lived; others haven't been so lucky. (See other posts linked to below.)
How is it that any number of deaths or adverse incidences are "acceptable" for a non-medical, elective surgery?
Is the AAP counting?
Because we sure are...
CIRCUMCISION: The Silent Killer
CIRCUMCISION: Another Baby Dies
CIRCUMCISION DEATH: Yet Another One (I Hate Writing These)
Another Circumcision Death Comes to Light
Circumcision Indicted in Yet Another Death: Rabbis and Mohels are "Upset"
CIRCUMCISION DEATH: Yes, Another One - This Time in Israel
CANADA: CPS Diverges from AAP on Infant Circumcision
CIRCUMCISION RISK: Two More Circumcision Botches
FACEBOOK: Two Botches and a Death
CIRCUMCISION DEATH: Child Dies After Doctor Convinces Ontario Couple to Circumcise
ONTARIO CIRCUMCISION DEATH: The Plot Thickens
Joseph4GI: The Circumcision Blame Game
Phony Phimosis: How American Doctors Get Away With Medical Fraud
Post a Comment